Thomas    Moore  
  Rank, Service
Chief Master Sergeant E-9,  U.S. Air Force
  Veteran of:
U.S. Army Air Forces 1947
U.S. Air Force 1947-1965
Korean War 1952-1953
Vietnam War 1965 (POW, Died in Captivity)

Thomas Moore was born on December 9, 1929, in McClenny, Florida, and grew up in Lake Butler, Florida. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces on August 21, 1947, shortly before it became the U.S. Air Force. After completing basic training, Moore became an aircraft mechanic, serving in California, Japan, and Florida before going through Air Conditioning Refrigeration School in 1951. He next served in Missouri before completing a tour during the Korean War. Sgt Moore served as a Refrigeration Specialist at Keesler AFB, Mississippi from March 8, 1955 to March 7, 1961, and then at Stewart AFB, New York, from March 8, 1961, to October 29, 1961. He served at Larson AFB, Washington, from October 30, 1961, to August 4, 1963, and Tyndall AFB, Florida, from August 5, 1963 to April 15, 1965, when he went to Southeast Asia. Sgt Moore was stationed at Tan Son Nhut AB in the Republic of Vietnam, and was captured on October 31, 1965, while traveling in a truck with three other service members from Vung Tau to Saigon. He was listed as having died in captivity by the Viet Cong on December 31, 1965. Sgt Moore married Lucy M. Harper in February 1952, and they had 4 children-Nora Diane Moore, Teresea M. Abrose, Larry Moore, and Debra J. Nelson; five grandchildren-Thomas M. Skinner, Leahney A. Mcglohorn, Apryl Nelson, Thomas Nelson, and Christina Ambrose; and one great grandson-Thomas Tyler Mcglohorn. His remains have never been returned to the United States.

His Soldier's Medal Citation reads:

Staff Sergeant Thomas Moore distinguished himself by heroism involving voluntary risk of life on 23 August 1955 at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi. On that date, when the arm of an electrician, who was making emergency repairs, touched a live circuit, Sergeant Moore, without thought for his own preservation, immediately responded to the aid of the stricken man. When his first attempt to free the victim failed, Sergeant Moore continued in his efforts until he succeeded. Although shocked himself, he administered artificial respiration until the victim regained consciousness and medical aid arrived. The exemplary courage and decisive actions of Sergeant Moore reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.


CMS Moore's daughter Diane and great grandson Tyler touching his name on the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall.

CMS Moore's Memorial Stone. His remains have never been recovered from Vietnam.



Contact Veteran Tributes at


Contact Veteran Tributes at